Saturday, December 09, 2006
Opnieuw worden 100.000 mensen geevacueerd voor opnieuw naderende tyfoon Fillipijnen
New typhoon slams Philippines
Second typhoon in two weeks hits the Philippines• Storm makes landfall in province where more than 1,000 died• 15,000 evacuated to shelters in around the country
MANILA, Philippines (AP) -- Thousands of people in an eastern province devastated by a powerful typhoon last week were told to evacuate Saturday after another storm slammed into the central Philippines.
Typhoon Utor, packing sustained winds of 120 kilometers (75 miles) per hour, made landfall in Guiuan town in the Eastern Samar province at noon Saturday.
It pounded Tacloban city in nearby Leyte province with gusts of up to 150 kph (94 mph) four hours later and was moving west-northwest at 22 kph (14 mph). It was expected to hit the northern tip of the Cebu province late Saturday.
Disaster officials said they had no immediate reports on the effects of the typhoon on Samar and Leyte islands.
The storm track also indicated it could hit the popular island resort of Boracay before blowing farther west toward the South China Sea. Forecasters warned there could be storm surges or big waves that could hit the island.
The coast guard halted 43 ferry services in the areas affected by the typhoon, stranding more than 2,000 passengers.
The new typhoon's path is just south of the eastern Bicol region where more than 1,000 people were killed or missing when it was battered by super Typhoon Durian last week.
Fernando Gonzales, governor of the worst-hit province of Albay, said about 15,000 people from about a dozen villages, including many that were wiped out by volcanic mudslides triggered by a record rainfall, were ordered evacuated to temporary shelters in government buildings, schools and churches where they will stay until the storm passes.
"What we are trying to avoid here is people getting trapped," he said.
Gonzales said jittery residents were more cooperative now with local government officials who have ordered the evacuation and many have moved out on their own.
The National Disaster Coordinating Council in Manila said more than 100,000 people already are evacuation centers following last week's typhoon.
Durian unleashed tons of rocks and other volcanic debris from the slopes of Mayon volcano, Bicol's most famous landmark, sending walls of mud and boulders on helpless villages.
Many residents whose houses have been destroyed or covered in debris have returned to salvage personal belongings, sometimes staying in the community and sleeping under makeshift tents or huts.
The latest typhoon prompted the postponement of next week's Southeast Asian and East Asian summits in central Cebu city and nearby Mactan island, Philippine organizers said.
In Cebu, Thai Foreign Minister Nitya Pibulsongkram said his government donated 1,000 sacks of rice for the typhoon victims.
Japan on Saturday said it will offer aid of up to US$1 million (euro757,000) to mudslide victims. The Japanese aid comes on top of 20 million yen (US$172,000; euro130,000) in emergency supplies including tents, blankets and other emergency goods to survivors.
Meanwhile, national police spokesman Chief Superintendent Samuel Pagdilao said police officers sent from Manila to help provide security for the summits will be gradually returned to the Philippine capital but those from other parts of the region will remain in Cebu in case they are needed for any disaster relief operations following the latest typhoon.